Photography trip to Kampung Baru

Embarked on my first photography trip to the quasi-village that is Kampung Baru.

The air was filled with excitement for the coming elections. Almost everything was draped in various party flags and posters, even the houses.

T-shirts.
Propaganda t-shirts.

It’s like a messy clash of old and new there. Modern, art deco-ish street lights and decorative poles were being erected for beautification purposes but they clash horribly with the humble traditional houses and food stalls. Well, elections are coming and someone has to be seen doing some work, aye?

Construction.
Construction.

The kids were very curious and friendly. All of them wanted to have their pictures taken. I could only indulge them…. :)

Boy.
Happy boy. Just looking at this picture makes me want to smile :)

Children.
The stood quietly and posed for me.

While the adults were working or busy discussing about politics at the food stalls, the children chilled outside their homes.

Chilling.
Children chilling.

Found someone who look kind of out of place and confused.

Confused girl.
Confused little girl.

We had an early dinner at one of the food stalls. The food was cheap and fantastic! I ate loads of beef lungs and tripes. Hmmm hmmm hmm hmmm hmmmm….

Takeaway.
Takeaway.

Mixed rice.
Beef lungs, beef tripe, beef, belacan and some vege. Spicy and addictive….

Dree tucking in.
Dree tucking in.

The trip ended pretty early due to the rain. We were lucky that we’re so near our car when the sky started to pour.

Group
Rachel, Dree and KY just before the rain set in.

This was my last picture from Kampung Baru.

Flags.
Flags at dusk.

We adjourned to Starbucks, chatted and drank expensive fumigated coffee till the clock struck 12. What an awesome Sunday!

Pictures in original sizes can be viewed here.

, , , ,

19 Responses to Photography trip to Kampung Baru

1. parisb March 3, 2008 at 3:30 pm #

Very awesome indeed! And your photography is awesome too :)

2. Pixeldoll March 3, 2008 at 5:30 pm #

Hi ms terminologically-correct kimbeleycun :) Those were good, sensitive comments you posted on nicolekiss.blogspot.com. Nice blog u have here too :)

3. twosuperheroes March 3, 2008 at 5:47 pm #

Totally love the happy boy pic. He just looks so happy and innocent… :)

4. KY March 3, 2008 at 10:07 pm #

nice series. :D

5. Simon Seow March 4, 2008 at 12:24 am #

I <3 beef lungs.

6. Dek Mat March 4, 2008 at 2:20 am #

ur photopolitical pics turned into foodblog! how cool is that?

if only BN and opposition can sit down and eat good food together gether.

vote for us and we’ll share with you our peace pipe ;)

7. lotsofcravings March 4, 2008 at 8:31 am #

photos well taken..very lovely..

8. Kimberlycun March 4, 2008 at 10:10 am #

paris: thanks! i’ve still got a long way to go!

pixeldoll: thank you! im glad we share the same sentiment :)

twosuperheroes: yes! just pure happiness no fakeness about it

ky: thank you!

simon: me tooo!

dek mat: didn’t intend my pictures to be political…but if they could help inspire positiveness…why not :)

lotsofcravings: thanks :)

9. laby March 4, 2008 at 10:44 am #

nice human captures. seems like that’s a MALAY place :) i’ve also captured some of my hometown (more chinese).. but focus is more on the banners…

10. dils March 4, 2008 at 11:04 am #

nice pics. The pics of children always add more colors to the sets I guess.

11. Lyrical Lemongrass March 4, 2008 at 11:24 am #

Love your pictures, especially the one of the Happy Boy. :-)

12. yahui March 4, 2008 at 11:46 am #

nice attempt Kim! i love all the expressions captured. :)

btw, i stumbled across Fireangel’s blog saying you are interested in bracing…? i did it before, worth the price for a lifetime of great smiles! ;)

13. Big Boys Oven March 4, 2008 at 11:50 am #

I would had a jolly good time! too bad I had yet to get my new big big camera! lol!

14. Rachel March 4, 2008 at 12:11 pm #

We shall do it again!! I dun take pix but i go makan… yum yum! =)

15. Kimberlycun March 4, 2008 at 2:31 pm #

laby: it is a predominantly malay kampung.

dils: thanks. and i absolutely agree with you :)

lyrical lemongrass: thank yous :)

yahui: yeah i am! i just saw your comment i couldn’t find your before and after picture leh! give us the link lah omg

big boys oven: i think any camera also can lah!

rachel: yeah this time u wear more conservatively can? LMAO

16. adryazad March 4, 2008 at 3:36 pm #

HORR.. KIM U POST MY picture u never ask me for permission.. HORR>. dai lor you

17. Trisha Elika Natasha August 18, 2008 at 12:26 pm #

good gurlz

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. kyspeaks.com » KY pictures - Streets of Kampung Baru with Election Colors - March 4, 2008

[…] one of Kim’s first photography trips and I must say she has an eye for this thing! Check out her post on the […]

2. A Walk in Kampung Baru | .: ShaolinTiger - Kung-Fu Geekery :. - March 6, 2008

[…] pictures – Streets of Kampung Baru with Election Colors Photography trip to Kampung Baru Tags: Asia, bn, d200, kampung baru, KL, Kuala-Lumpur, Malaysia, pas, street-photography, tamron1750 […]