I won a beautiful Nokia N96 recently at a party. Actually, my boyfriend won it and he gave it to me. I’ve been eyeing the phone for the longest time…..just the sheer beauty of it. Thank you babs! I did spent the whole day upgrading the firmware using Ovi (so easy!), transfering contacts, images, everything, installing Gmail, Twibble and deng deng deng deng….Garmin!
Yeah I’m really tired!
I am an ardent user of Garmin Mobile XT. I had it on my previous phone, Nokia N82. It’s the most awesome thing ever, after secretly recording your own singing voice in the car that is. After upgrading to Nokia N96, I tried installing the same executables to it but the Garmin never worked. The Garmin logo appeared under Applications but the programme just wouldn’t open.
Where am I going?
After searching high and low for the solution, I finally discovered the root of the problem. The existing Garmin .exes I used on my old phone would only work for N82 and N95. As for the new N96, only the updated .exes can work on it.
Here’s how to install Garmin Mobile XT on your Nokia N96:
1. Download to your computer the Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Ver. 5.00.10 from this link.
2. Download to your computer Garmin Mobile XT Free Basemap, Ver. 4.xx.xx from this link.
3. Download to your computer Garmin Mobile XT Support Files, Ver. 4.xx.xx from this link.
4. Download GM-MySInMXT.exe from this link. (this is map of Malaysia and you have to be registered before you could access the site)
5. Connect your N96 (via memory storage) or memory disk to your computer and make sure it’s detected by your computer.
6. Now, run the recently downloaded files on the computer, one after another, in this order:
- v4.xx.xxx Support File,
- v4.xx.xxx Basemap File
- GMXT v5.00.10
When prompted to choose storage space, always choose the phone’s memory.
7. Disconnect phone memory from computer. It’s time to configure Garmin on your phone. Go to your phone’s File Manager >Garmin >Applications >Symbian >RES >GarminMobileXT.sis and install the .sis
If you can’t find GarminMobileXT.sis, check the root directory, it should be there. Install the .sis as per normal.
8. After that, go to Applications> run Garmin Mobile XT. It won’t connect to GPS satelite yet, so just ignore it.
9. You should have received your device unlock code from the manufacturer of Garmin, however if you haven’t, there are instructions on the Internet to guide you on how to get yours ;)
10. Copy the device unlock code and paste it in a notepad, then save the file as SW.UNL
11. Reconnect your phone/memory to your computer.
12. Copy the SW.UNL file into
13. Then, run GM-MySInMXT.exe, and copy gmapsupp.img into
14. Disconnect your phone from your computer.
15. Go to Applications >Garmin Mobile XT >Settings >System >Remote GPS >Select ‘Use Attached/Built-in GPS’ >Enable and it’s all done.
16. Wait for satellite signal to strengthen and then you can start navigating around various places with confidence!
Greenlight means good to go!
p/s: This also works on Nokia E71.
Update: if you can’t find attached GPS, please check your sw.unl file. As commenter Joanna said
“go back to your garmin folder. Check out your SW.UNL file. It probably has an additional .txt at the end of it, delete that part and save it as SW.UNL. Then go back to the application and you’ll see the Route option appear.”
Disclaimer: I am only recounting my personal experience and will not be responsible for any damage suffered by yourself or your phone for trying to recreate my personal experience.
Tags: garmin, garmin doesn't work on N96, Garmin Mobile XT, Garmin Mobile XT n96, installing garmin on nokia e71, installing garmin on nokia n96, n96 garmin, nokia 96, nokia e71, nokia e71 garmin, nokia n82 garmin, nokia n96 map