Mom’s All in One Pot Asian Ginger Chicken Rice Recipe.

Hello again, this is another recipe from my childhood….my mom’s signature ginger chicken rice. It’s so shockingly easy to make, you wouldn’t believe how delicious and satisfying this dish is.

It’s best to use chicken meat with the bones still attached, parts like drumsticks and chicken thighs are the best. Also, go easy on the fat trimming as you do need a bit of chicken fat to make this dish a true winner :)

You need a rice cooker for this recipe, otherwise it wouldn’t be as convenient or easy a recipe as it should be…

For the chicken marinade:

• 3 chicken thighs, with excess fat trimmed off
  • A piece of ginger the size of your thumb
  • 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
  • A dash of pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of chinese rice wine
  • 1 tablespoon of sesame oil

For the rice:

• 1 1/4 cup of rice,
  • A piece of ginger the size of your thumb, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce
  • A dash of pepper
  • 5 cloves of garlic, whole
  • A dash of salt

# – To make the chicken marinade, first of all, pound the ginger into a pulp to render out the juice.

# – Then, throw the ginger pulp and juice onto the chicken thighs.

# – Followed by 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce…

# – And a few dashes of pepper…

# – Don’t forget the sesame oil

# – As well as the chinese rice wine.

# – Mix together and set aside in the fridge for minimum of 2 hours.

# – Next, prepare the rice as you normally would with plain rice in the rice cooker. Basically, the amount of water needed to cook rice is the same as the amount of rice PLUS one more cup. Hence, for 1 1/4 cup of rice, you need to cook them with 2 1/4 cup of water.

# – Add 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce, and a dash of salt (I forgot to take the picture).

# – Throw in a few dashes of white pepper..

# – Mix it up till everything’s combined.

# – Next, lay the garlic cloves all over the surface of the rice.

# – Followed by the ginger slices.

# – Lastly, take out the chicken thighs and lay them over the rice, skin facing upwards.

# – Cook for 25-30 minutes (as how you would normally cook rice).

# – Mom’s all in one pot ginger chicken rice recipe, DONE!

# – Garnish with some chopped spring onions before serving.

# – The chicken is tender and delicious.

This is truly an easy way to cook Asian chicken rice. The chicken meat is tender and silky while the rice is fluffy and full of flavours.

I must say this is perfect for busy folks who have not much time as you can marinade the chicken the night before and then just throw them into the rice cooker the following day. As for me, I just whip it up on a lazy day ;)

, , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Mom’s All in One Pot Asian Ginger Chicken Rice Recipe.

1. whytevee May 14, 2011 at 1:24 am #

oh my goodness that’s so easy! i usually cook chicken rice the normal way- steam chicken, cook rice in chicken stock, etc..shall try this soon~ thanks for the easy recipe! :D

• Kimberlycun May 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

I wish I can say I can cook chicken rice the normal way hahahahah /shy

2. lb May 14, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

I love the idea of yat-wok-suk! all in one, hahaha, easy and healthier, i would want skinless chicken meat though..unless its deep fried.

• Kimberlycun May 15, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

Yeah, can remove the skin for a healthier option hehe

3. dea May 15, 2011 at 7:09 pm #

i would like to try this recipe, but i’m a muslim…
    would it still taste d same if i didnt include d wine?

• Kimberlycun May 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Certainly okay to omit the alcohol cause my mom does that too. Cheers :)

4. WD May 16, 2011 at 12:33 am #

1 extra cup of water for every portion of rice? I wonder if this formula scales well. I normally use the +150% rule. If I use 1 cup of rice, I add 1.5 cups of water. Perhaps with the chicken, more water is needed?

• Kimberlycun May 17, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

it works for me though, the rice turns up fluffy. you don’t need additional water for the chicken as the steam cooks it.

5. YT May 16, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Ooh! I’ve been looking for an easy recipe for just using a rice cooker. I’m going to try this. It’s so simple and with ingredients I always have in the kitchen. =)

6. Dale May 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Recipe looks AMAZING and I can’t wait to try it! Thanks very much for sharing it! Quick question – would other types of meat work with this dish as well? I really like fish (salmon), and wonder if that could work in place of chicken in this recipe. Thanks!

• Kimberlycun May 17, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

honestly, i’ve never tried it with other meats, but i don’t see how fatty fish won’t work in this recipe. good luck!

7. nitya May 22, 2011 at 4:03 am #

would love to try this out but don’t have a rice cooker, would the proportions of rice:water be the same if i was just to cook it in a normal pot?
    thanks, and keep up the good work! :-)

• Kimberlycun May 22, 2011 at 8:20 am #

Hi Nitya, I’d imagine the ratio of water and rice would be the same. However, I’ve always been hopeless with cooking rice in an ordinary pot as I grew up only knowing how to use rice cookers. When I first knew my BF we didn’t have a rice cooker so I had to google the method everytime till we got around to getting one. So don’t take my word for it and I assure you there are plenty of guidelines on water:rice ratio for cooking rice in a normal pot, hahaha.

On the other hand, assuming you already know how to cook rice in a saucepan, you could just cook the rice as how you normally would (with addition of chicken before the rice fluff up). Don’t worry about the chicken as the amount of water doesn’t really matter, it’s cooked by the steam generated from the water cooking rice. Cheers and hope it works out well!

8. Sophia May 27, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

I tried this recipe last night and it turned out great!!! Super easy too.. Thanks so much for sharing.. Share more!!! ;)

9. AhmadN June 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

I’m studying abroad, over in Egypt, its a hassle to find ginger, but there’s ginger powder though. I blended it with some Garlic then mixed it with the rice.

Here’s the problem ,the rice water ratio, i don’t get it, you’re saying we’re gonna cook it as we did with normal rice,normal measure of water but with an additional cup instead? my rice is a weebit soggy :(

• Kimberlycun June 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

Hi Ahmad, sorry about my instructions being confusing. I meant, cook it as you normally cook rice. Don’t add more water on top of the amount of water you usually use.

The additional cup of water is just my explanation of my normal way of cooking rice which is 1 cup of rice = 1 cup of water + 1 additional cup of water, for people who don’t really know the ratio for cooking rice in a rice cooker. For example, if i needed to cook 3 1/4 cup of rice, it’ll be 3 1/4 cup of water + 1 additional cup of water.

Hope the next round works for you!

10. anjelina June 14, 2011 at 9:18 am #

Ginger Chicken is one of my fav dishes. Looks different and delicious.

• Kimberlycun June 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

thanks for the recipe. it looks good!!!

11. Shelley September 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

I couldn’t wait to try this recipe of yours since 3 weeks ago! Finally did it today. Ooooh…..gorgeous! And….easy peasy! Gave me no excuse to not use my “batu tumbuk”. Was rather nervous with the water to rice part … but end result: Fabulous! (Even though I used 2 cups rice and 4 cups water! I misunderstood you the first time :p I thought it was “add 1 more cup to the normal amount of water (which is 3 cups for 2 cups of rice)”. I used 10 grain rice, so I think a bit more water was fine. Will stick to your measurements in future). Thanks for sharing, I’m so pleased with this find. It will be on the menu for many many more (lazy) times to come! :)

12. Nouri November 1, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Hi,

Your recipe looks so yummy. May I copy it to my blog?

Nouri

13. Peter Tan September 16, 2012 at 9:12 am #

This recipe was fantastic; had this with my girlfriend when I travelled to Australia and she loved it! It brought back good memories of my mum’s ginger chicken too. :) thumbs up for me

14. S December 15, 2012 at 12:59 am #

is it ok if i substitute the wine with chicken broth instead?

15. julie January 15, 2013 at 4:00 am #

I didn’t read the directions closely and threw all the chicken marinade ingredients in a crockpot – without any marinading time…. also, i didn’t have rice wine, so using rice vinegar. hoping it comes out..

16. Jen April 12, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

Hi, can I assume this is for 3 servings since you are using 3 chicken thighs? If I double the recipe (6 servings), do I double the cooking time too?

• Kimberlycun April 13, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

That depends on your rice cooker. Just cook your rice as long as how you normally would. You don’t have to worry about the chickens… They will cook from the steam

Trackbacks/Pingbacks