Replacing Malaysian road tax without damaging your windscreen.

I believe I’m not the only one that doesn’t like the current Malaysian road tax. The old design was perfectly fine so I don’t know why they did away with it.

The current one looks better I guess and has its own adhesive for sticking onto a windscreen. HOWEVER, nobody warns that removing it would be a pain in the arse.

After a year in the sun, removal of the road tax would mean that it disintegrates with ugly glue marks left behind on the windscreen. In fact when you google Malaysia road tax, you’d be inundated with pictures of tragic road tax removal. Such as these:

# – Tragic 1.

# – Tragic 2.

I know people who just don’t remove an expired road tax at all, because it’s too much hassle. So they just slap on the new one right next to the old one and eventually have 1/2 of their windscreen covered in road taxes. My dad is one such person lol.

After a while, I realised that auto accessories shops like Brother or Eneos do sell plain car stickers for cradling road tax. They also have ones with branding on them but I just prefer plain, transparent ones.

# – Plain car stickers for cradling road tax.

All you have to do is laminate the road tax at a bookshop, put it on top of the plain sticker, then stick it onto the windscreen. Hence, there will be no adhesive contact with your windscreen at all.

# – Laminated road tax.

That said, because I’m so lazy and stingy, I decided that paying RM2.50 to laminate the road tax every year is a bit too steep to pay. Also, it’s such a pain to find parking near my neighbourhood book shop and the girl that works there is one of the slowest people I know exist.

So I came up with a brilliant idea, of which is the point of this blog post:

Ladies and gentleman…clingwrap film! One of the most common item in one’s household hehehe.

# – Roll out some clingwrap film. Using a cloth or paper towel, smooth it down over the surface of a table.

# – Carefully peel off the road tax.

# – Stick it on top of the clingwrap film.

# – Now, lift the clingwrap film off the table.

# – Trim off excess film around the road tax with a scissors.

# – Fold in excess film around the road tax.

# – Clingwrapped road tax, DONE!

# – Now, just slip the clingwrapped road tax into the car sticker and onto the windscreen.

# – Replacing Malaysian road tax without damaging your windscreen, DONE!

And that, ladies & gentlemen, is how Kim sees it.

, , , , ,

30 Responses to Replacing Malaysian road tax without damaging your windscreen.

1. suanie January 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

genius genius. but i’m too lazy to even clingwrap it, so i’ll let my mechanic do all the work ;)

• Kimberlycun January 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

you bring your car to mechanic just to change road tax? wtf suan?

• David Wang January 13, 2012 at 9:48 am #

+1 for Kim’s comment

• suanie January 13, 2012 at 9:51 am #

hahah. once a year only mah. i time my car maintenance around it :P

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

actually, i don’t trust anyone other than myself with my road tax. once the book shop girl almost tore it into half i was like wtffff. but i guess your mechanic is used to it haha

2. camlok January 13, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Maybe it’s just me, but I found that using a little water, the road tax and the remnant glue comes off easily from my wind screen

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

wow water?? your fingers must emit some kinda glue solvent haha, good on u!

3. jlow January 13, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Girl, better not to remove and keep sticking new ones as this is also a way to prevent car theft.The thief would not drive away a car that can be easily identified with all its r/tax sticker giving away the original car no. plate.

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

oh my daddy-o has come out :D something to ponder over seriously. thanks dad!

4. Val January 13, 2012 at 9:08 am #

I use the plastic cover that kids use for their schoolbooks. It’s less flimsy and easier to control.

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

great tip! i suppose you could use anything that’s transparent and big enough.

5. Val January 13, 2012 at 9:09 am #

If you have gum residue, spray some WD-40 and gently rub it off, then gently (again) wipe the area with turpentine.

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

thanks for the tip. this sticker remover spray i have is also pretty good, blogged about it here.

6. KY January 13, 2012 at 9:14 am #

good tips! i just taruh only and deal with it every year. lol

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

oh well, i can understand the appeal of a delayed torture heh

7. pelf January 13, 2012 at 10:18 am #

I use alcohol in my research, so one year, I tried using alcohol to remove the remnant glue on the windscreen. It worked, so I’m assuming maybe nail polish remover or even toner will do the job too?

Somebody told me that we shouldn’t place “anything” between the road tax and the windscreen, but I didn’t bother. I place my road tax on a piece of transparency (the ones lecturers used in uni a few years ago before somebody discovered PowerPoint, LOL) and use a car sticker to hold it in place.

Your cling wrap solution is more readily-available since not many people have leftover transparencies at home :) Good thinking! :D

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

thanks for the tip! i have a sticker remover which i blogger about here, it’s awesome too. I think we could use anything that’s transparent basically :D

8. Dacs January 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

U don’t even need the cling wrap. Just stick it on the car sticker will do.
    I do it every year :)

• Kimberlycun January 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

heh those stickers not cheap also leh…i reuse mine for 3-4 years already :)

9. The Yum List January 14, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Great tip! Not only road tax stickers are a pain, but also security stickers for condos, companies and schools too! It’s about time a new technology was developed.

10. foodcrazee January 15, 2012 at 1:38 am #

lols. . . .been doing that for ages. Tough job but easier to remove yearly. I uses book wrappers with adhesive. The adhesive part sticks to the windscreen with the road tax stick to the wrapper. . . .

11. Elaine January 16, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Use lighter fluid my dear. Pour a little on a piece of cloth and the glue comes off like magic :)

12. anonymous January 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

good post but can u pls blog abt chinese new year, why nobody blog abt it?

13. Ciana January 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Wow, thank you for coming up with such idea! I’ve never even thought about it. My Mom had to always ask an acquaintance to use a special solution to remove any traces of the adhesive tape. I wonder if it’s possible to use cellophane tape instead of the transparent car sticker?

14. Sholee January 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

amazing! thanks for the great tip!!!

15. lex January 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

I can’t even peel the sticker off without breaking. FML

16. kc July 31, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

hi, i just bought a very cute road tax stickers online from this website, http://www.funfunstickers.com.my/Road+Tax+Stickers, it looks so nice in my car windscreen with the cartoon pic!! i dont have the prob. on removing it anymore, haha!!

17. Caeser December 20, 2012 at 10:34 am #

And that, ladies & gentlemen, is how Kim sees it. sounds like Glee

18. Meor August 28, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

I just use my 2 y/o son’s baby oil to get rid of the gum residue. Hehe. Works perfectly.

19. Niqnaqx April 16, 2014 at 12:52 am #

Government OK with not sticking road tax directly to windscreen?